Jun 21, 2000 - 09:10 PM
Florida Executions Since 1979
Florida has executed 244 inmates since 1924. Here is the list of convicts executed in Florida since the U.S. Supreme Court restored the state's death penalty in 1976:
1. John Spenkelink, 30, executed May 25, 1979, for the murder of traveling companion Joe Szymankiewicz in a Tallahassee hotel room. Second warrant.
2. Robert Sullivan, 36, executed Nov. 30, 1983, for the shotgun slaying of Homestead hotel-restaurant assistant manager Donald Schmidt. Second warrant.
3. Anthony Antone, 66, executed Jan. 26, 1984, for masterminding the Oct. 23, 1975, contract killing of Tampa private detective Richard Cloud. Second warrant.
4. Arthur F. Goode III, 30, executed April 5, 1984, for killing 9-year-old Jason Verdow of Cape Coral March 5, 1976. Second warrant.
5. James Adams, 47, executed May 10, 1984, for beating Fort Pierce millionaire rancher Edgar Brown to death with a fire poker during a 1973 robbery attempt. Second warrant.
6. Carl Shriner, 30, executed June 20, 1984, for killing 32-year-old Gainesville convenience-store clerk Judith Ann Carter, who was shot five times. Second warrant.
7. David L. Washington, 34, executed July 13, 1984, for the murders of three Dade County residents - Daniel Pridgen, Katrina Birk and University of Miami student Frank Meli - during a ten-day span in 1986. Third warrant.
8. Ernest John Dobbert Jr., 46, executed Sept. 7, 1984, for the 1971 killing of his 9-year-old daughter Kelly Ann. Third warrant.
9. James Dupree Henry, 34, executed Sept. 20, 1984, for the March 23 1974, murder of 81-year-old civil rights leader Zellie L. Riley. Second warrant.
10. Timothy Palmes, 37, executed in November 1984 for the stabbing death of Jacksonville furniture store owner James N. Stone. He was a co-defendant with Ronald John Michael Straight, executed May 20, 1986. Second warrant.
11. James David Raulerson, 33, executed Jan. 30, 1985, for gunning down Jacksonville Police Officer Michael Stewart on April 27, 1975. Third warrant.
12. Johnny Paul Witt, 42, executed March 6, 1985, for killing, sexually abusing and mutilating Jonathan Mark Kushner, the 11-year-old son of a University of South Florida professor, Oct. 28, 1973. Second warrant.
13. Marvin Francois, 39, executed May 29, 1985, for shooting six people July 27, 1977, in the robbery of a "drug house" in the Miami suburb of Carol City. He was a co-defendant with Beauford White, executed Aug. 28, 1987. Second warrant.
14. Daniel Morris Thomas, 37, executed April 15, 1986, for shooting University of Florida associate professor Charles Anderson, raping the man's wife as he lay dying, then shooting the family dog on New Year's Day 1976. Second warrant.
15. David Livingston Funchess, 39, executed April 22, 1986, for the Dec. 16, 1974, stabbing deaths of the 53-year-old Anna Waldrop and the 56-year-old Clayton Ragan during a holdup in a Jacksonville lounge. Second warrant.
16. Ronald John Michael Straight, 42, executed May 20, 1986, for the Oct. 4, 1976, murder of Jacksonville businessman James N. Stone. He was a co-defendant with Timothy Palmes, executed Jan. 30, 1985. Second warrant.
17. Beauford White, 41, executed Aug. 28, 1987, for his role in the July 27, 1977, shooting of eight people, six fatally, during the robbery of a small-time drug dealer's home in Carol City, a Miami suburb. He was a co-defendant with Marvin Francois, executed May 29, 1985. Third warrant.
18. Willie Jasper Darden, 54, executed March 15, 1988, for the September 1973 shooting of James C. Turman in Lakeland. SEVENTH warrant.
19. Jeffrey Joseph Daugherty, 33, executed March 15, 1988, for the March 1976 murder of hitchhiker Lavonne Patricia Sailer in Brevard County. Second warrant.
20. Theodore Robert Bundy, 42, executed Jan. 24, 1989, for the rape and murder of 12-year-old Kimberly Leach of Lake City at the end of a cross-country killing spree. Leach was kidnapped Feb. 9, 1978, and her body was found three months later some 32 miles west of Lake City. Fourth warrant (Executed on second warrant in Leach case).
21. Aubry Dennis Adams Jr., 31, executed May 4, 1989, for strangling the 8-year-old Trisa Gail Thornley to death Jan. 23, 1978, in Ocala. Fourth warrant.
22. Jessie Joseph Tafero, 43, executed May 4, 1990, for the February 1976 shooting deaths of Florida Highway Patrolman Phillip Black and his friend Donald Irwin, a Canadian constable from Kitchener, Ontario. Third warrant.
23. Anthony Bertolotti, 38, executed July 27, 1990, for the Sept. 27, 1983, stabbing death and rape of Carol Ward in Orange County. Third warrant.
24. James William Hamblen, 61, executed Sept. 21, 1990, for the April 24, 1984 shooting death of Laureen Jean Edwards during a robbery at the victim's Jacksonville lingerie shop. Third warrant.
25. Raymond Robert Clark, 49, executed Nov. 19, 1990 for the April 27, 1977 shooting murder of scrap metal dealer David Drake in Pinellas County. Fifth warrant.
26. Roy Allen Harich, 32, executed April 24, 1991, for the June 27, 1981 sexual assault, shooting and slashing death of Carlene Kelly near Daytona Beach. Third warrant.
27. Bobby Marion Francis, 46, executed June 25, 1991, for the June 17, 1975 murder of Titus R. Walters, a drug informant, in Key West. Third warrant.
28. Nollie Lee Martin, 43, executed May 12, 1992 for the 1977 murder of a 19-year-old George Washington University student, who was working at a Delray Beach convenience store. Fourth warrant.
29. Edward Dean Kennedy, 47, executed July 21, 1992, for the April 11, 1981 slayings of Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Howard McDermon and Floyd Cone after escaping from Union Correctional Institution. Fourth warrant.
30. Robert Dale Henderson, 48, executed April 21, 1993, for the 1982 shootings of three hitchhikers in Hernando County. He also confessed to a total of 12 murders in five states. Second warrant.
31. Larry Joe Johnson, 49, executed May 8, 1993, for the 1979 slaying of James Hadden, a service station attendant in small North Florida town of Lee in Madison County. Veterans group claim Johnson suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome. Fourth warrant.
32. Michael Alan Durocher, 33, executed Aug. 25, 1993, for the 1983 murders of his girlfriend, Grace Reed, her daughter, Candice, and his 6-month-old son Joshua in Clay County. Durocher also convicted in two other killings. First warrant.
33. Roy Allen Stewart, 38, executed April 22, 1994, for beating, raping and strangling of 77-year-old Margaret Haizlip of Perrine in Dade County on Feb. 22, 1978. Fourth warrant.
34. Bernard Bolander, 42, executed July 18, 1995, for killing four men in Dade County whose bodies were set afire in car trunk on Jan. 8, 1980. Fourth warrant.
35. Jerry White, 47, executed Dec. 4, 1995, for the slaying of a customer in an Orange County grocery store robbery in 1981. Third warrant.
36. Phillip A. Atkins, 40, executed Dec. 5, 1995, for the molestation and rape of a 6-year-old Lakeland boy in 1981. Second warrant.
37. John Earl Bush, 38, executed Oct. 21, 1996 for the 1982 slaying of Francis Slater, an heir to the Envinrude outboard motor fortune. Ms. Slater was working in a Stuart convenience store when she was kidnapped and murdered. Third warrant.
38. John Mills Jr., 41, executed Dec. 6, 1996, for the fatal shooting of Les Lawhon in Wakulla and burglarizing Lawhon's home. Second warrant.
39. Pedro Medina, 39, executed March 25, 1997 for the 1982 slaying of his neighbor Dorothy James, 52, in Orlando. Medina was the first Cuban who came to Florida in Mariel boat lift to be executed in Florida. During his execution, flames burst from behind the mask over his face, delaying Florida executions for almost a year.
40. Gerald Eugene Stano, 46, executed March 23, 1998, for the slaying of Cathy Scharf, 17, of Port Orange, who disappeared Nov. 14, 1973. Stano confessed to killing 41 women.
41. Leo Alexander Jones, 47, executed March 24, 1998, for the May 23, 1981, slaying of Jacksonville Police Officer Thomas Szafranski.
42. Judy Buenoano, 54, executed March 30, 1998 for the poisoning death of her husband, Air Force Sgt. James Goodyear, Sept. 16, 1971.
43. Daniel Remeta, 40, executed March 31, 1998 for the murder of Ocala convenience store clerk Mehrle Reeder in February 1985, the first of five killings in three states laid to Remeta.
44. Allen Lee "Tiny" Davis, 54, executed in a new electric chair on July 8, 1999, for the May 11, 1982 slayings of Jacksonville resident Nancy Weiler and her daughters, Kristina and Katherine. Bleeding from Davis' nose prompted continued examination of effectiveness of electrocution and eventual switch to lethal injection.
45. Terry M. Sims, 58, became the first Florida inmate to be executed by injection on Feb. 23, 2000. Sims died for the 1977 slaying of a volunteer deputy sheriff in a central Florida robbery.
46. Anthony Bryan, 40, died from lethal injection Feb. 24, 2000, for the 1983 slaying of George Wilson, 60, a night watchman abducted from his job at a seafood wholesaler in Pascagoula, Miss., and killed in Florida.
47. Bennie Demps, 49, died from lethal injection June 7, 2000 for the 1976 murder of another prison inmate, Alfred Sturgis. Demps spent 29 years on death row before he was executed.
48. Thomas Provenzano, 51, died from lethal injection June 21, 2000 for the 1984 murder of William "Arnie" Wilkerson, a 60-year-old bailiff killed when Provenzano opened fire in an Orlando courtroom.
Post a Comment