Wednesday 7 March 2007

Statement from Secretary McDonough on Governor Crist's Directive on the Lethal Injection Commission's Recommendations


Statement
March 3, 2007
For More Information
Contact: Public Affairs Office
(850) 488-0420

Statement from Secretary McDonough on Governor Crist's Directive on the Lethal Injection Commission's Recommendations

“With his directive, Governor Crist has tasked me with a great and solemn duty. I will treat it as such and endeavor to meet his standards in fulfilling the public interest. My guiding principles will be to ensure a humane and dignified death for the condemned, carried out in accordance with the law. Although we will seek an execution process of short duration, that end should not come at the expense of these principles. While the execution procedure should be transparent as possible, it must be sensitive to the emotions and concerns of the victims and their survivors, the family and friends of the condemned, and the general public. Additionally, the morale and professional concerns of the execution team must be addressed.

“While I plan to be thorough in my review and respectful of the recommendations of the Commission, I will move expeditiously to fulfill the mission the Governor has entrusted to me.”
James R. McDonough
Secretary

No comments: